The ChristChurch Transitional Cathedral, also known as the Cardboard Cathedral, is the temporary cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Christchurch.
The Transitional Cathedral, which is located at 234 Hereford Street, at the southern end of Latimer Square, opened in August 2013 after the original ChristChurch Cathedral was badly damaged in the February 2011 earthquake.
It is open daily from 9 am. During the summer months (November to March) the Cathedral will close at 7 pm, unless there is a later evening service. In the winter months the Cathedral will close at 5 pm or following a later evening service.
The Cathedral was designed pro bono by Japanese architect Shigeru Ban. It is built using timber, steel and recycled cardboard tubes.
The A-frame roof consists of 86 cardboard tubes. The roof is covered with translucent corrugated polycarbonate panels. There are two inch gaps between each tube, which allows light to flow through the translucent roof.
Ban was approached to design the Cathedral after the Diocese saw photographs of previous works. Ban had designed a cardboard tube cathedral in Japan for the Takatori Catholic Church following the 1995 Great Hanshin (Kobe) earthquake. It was deconstructed in 2006 and donated to the Taomi Village in Taiwan, which suffered an earthquake in 1999.
Located just a few blocks from the Transitional Cathedral is the ruins of the original ChristChurch Cathedral and Cathedral Square. This Cathedral was constructed between 1864 and 1904.
The Anglican Church has decided to demolish the Cathedral and replace it with a new Cathedral. This decision has caused some controversy.