Hagley Park is the largest public park in Christchurch.
The park spans 164.637 hectares and is shaped by the Avon River and surrounding streets. The surrounding streets divide the park into three areas Little Hagley Park, Hagley Park North and Hagley Park South. The Christchurch Botanic Gardens is adjacent to North Hagley Park, with Canterbury Museum and Christ’s College also on what was park land.
The Park was formed in 1855 when the new Provisional Government set the land aside as a public park. It was named Hagley Park after the country estate of Lord Lyttelton, who was the chairman of the Canterbury Association.
Hagley Park North is used for many outdoor concerts and events, such as Christmas in the Park and the Ellerslie Flower Show. It also has rugby fields, the Hagley Golf Club, Croquet Club and Tennis Club. There is also a fitness trail that runs through Hagley Park North.
As well as the Avon River there is Victoria and Albert Lake within Hagley Park North. Victoria Lake was formed in 1897 to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria’s reign. The 1 acre area of swamp was extended to be the 4 acre lake it is today.
Hagley Park South is largely made up of sports fields, including netball courts, rugby fields, hockey fields and the Hagley Oval cricket ground. The Addington Brook is a small stream that runs through Hagley Park South and exits into the Avon River in the Botanic Gardens.