Humayun’s Tomb

Humayun’s tomb is the tomb of Humayun, the second Mughal Emperor of India, in Delhi, India.


Humayun’s first wife, Empress Bega Begum commissioned the tomb. It was designed by Mirak Mirza Ghiyas and his son, Sayyid Muhammad.

It was the first garden tomb in Asia. Construction begun in 1566, nine years after Humayun’s death. It was completed in 1572.

There are around 150 graves in Humayun’s tomb and the surrounding gardens.

Humayun’s tomb is located at Mathura Road, opposite Dargah Nizamuddin, New Delhi, Delhi.









Qutb Minar

Qutb Minar is the tallest minaret in the world located in Delhi, India


Qutb Minar (also spelt Qutub Minar & Qutab Minar) is a five storey tower that is 73 metres (239.5 feet) tall. Its base is 14.3 metres (47 feet) in diameter. This narrows to 2.7 metres (9 feet) at the top. The first three storeys are made of red sandstone. The fourth and fifth storeys are made of marble and sandstone.

It was built in several stages with various rulers adding to it. Quab-ud-din Aibak, the first ruler of the Delhi Sultanate, established Qutb Minar around 1192. Shams-ud-Din Iltutmish the third ruler added three more storeys. Firoz Shah Tughlaq added a fifth storey when repairing the top storey following a lightening strike.

Qutb Minar contains a spiral staircase of 379 steps. It has been closed to public since 1981, when the staircase lighting failed and 47 people were killed when 300 to 400 visitors rushed to the exit.

There are also other significant monuments and buildings surrounding Qutb Minar, including Alai Minar (an unfinished tower), the Iron Pillar of Delhi, Major Smith’s Cupola (also known as Smith’s Folly), the Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque (the first mosque built in India), the Tomb of Iltutmish and the Tomb of Imam Zamin.

Qutb Minar is in Mehrauli, New Delhi, Delhi.









Lotus Temple

The Lotus Temple, is a Bahá’í House of Worship, in Delhi, India


The Bahá’í House of Worship, which opened in Delhi in December 1986, is a place of worship where people of all religions can gather. This is one of the key concepts of the Bahá’í Faith – the Oneness of God, the Oneness of Religion and the Oneness of all People.

Abdu’l-Bahá, the son of Bahá’u’lláh founder of the Bahá’í faith, wrote that a House of Worship should be a nine-sided circular shape.

Iranian architect Fariborz Sahba was inspired by the lotus flower, a symbol in many religions. The temple, which is located on a 26 hectare property amongst landscaped gardens, features 27 marble clad petals, that are arranged in groups of three to form the nine sided shape.

Around the petals are also nine pools of water, which gives the impression of a floating lotus flower. There are nine doors that open onto a central hall that can hold 2,500 people (1,300 seated).

Bahá’í writings state that no statues or pictures be displayed within a House of Worship. Photography is not permitted inside the temple.

The Lotus Temple is opened Tuesday to Sunday from 9am. The temple closes at 5:30pm in winter and 7pm in the summer. Last entry is 30 minutes prior to closing.

There is also an information centre but this was closed when I visited.

The Lotus Temple is located at Lotus Temple Road, Bahapur, Shambhu Dayal Bagh, Kalkaji, New Delhi, Delhi.








New Plymouth Clock Tower

New Plymouth’s clock tower stands on the corner Robe Street and Devon Street West.


The original clock tower was part of the Post Office building, which was built in 1906-7. Following an earthquake in 1942 a decision was made to demolish to tower due to safety concerns. Due to opposition the clock tower and post office were not demolished until April 1969.

Residents wanted the clock tower back, so a replica was built in 1985 that incorporated the original clock and its mechanism.

Unfortunately you cannot climb to the top of it. Access to the tower steps are closed off by a gate.

It is best to see when visiting the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery / Lyn Lye Centre, as the clock tower is across the road.



Govett-Brewster Art Gallery | Len Lye Centre

The Govett-Brewster Art Gallery and Len Lye Centre is a contemporary art museum and space in New Plymouth.


The art gallery opened in 1970 in the old Regent Cinema building. The name comes from Monica Brewster (née Govett), who was the founding benefactor.

The gallery traditionally changes its exhibitions three times a year. The gallery also has café and shop.

The Len Lye Centre, which opened in 2015, is located next to the art gallery and houses artist, sculpter, poet and filmmaker Len Lye’s collection and archive, as well as galleries, an education centre and a 62-seat cinema.

The Centre’s with its shimmering mirror-like steel facade is probably one of the most photographed buildings in New Plymouth.

Entry to the gallery is free but donations are appreciated.

The Govett-Brewster Art Gallery and Len Lye Centre is located on the corner of Queen St and Devon St West, New Plymouth.






Puke Ariki

Puke Ariki, which opened in 2003, is an combined museum, library and tourist information centre in New Plymouth.


The Museum has three permanent galleries Taranaki Naturally, Taranaki Life, and Takapou Whāriki. These exhibitions explore Taranaki’s geological, early settler life, and Māori history. There also two temporary galleries for visiting and short term exhibitions.

The Museum is open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm and 9am to 5pm on weekends.

There is an airbridge that links the Museum and i-Site with the public library. The library is open the same hours as the museum, except for a late night on Wednesday with a 9pm closure.

Puke Ariki is located at 1 Ariki Street, New Plymouth.













Taranaki Pioneer Village

Taranaki Pioneer Village is an outdoor museum experience representing a Taranaki Village from 1850 to 1950.


The 10 acre property has over 40 original buildings dating back to 1853. Buildings onsite include the Tariki Railway Station (1903), Opunake Railway Station (1925), Stratford Courthouse (1895), Mangatoki Church (1904), Kaponga Jail (1914), and Pembroke School (circa 1930s).

There are also historic homesteads and many village shops including a bank, barber, bookbinder, butcher, chemist, cobbler, Doctors and dental surgery, drapery, grocery store, hardware store library, post office, and printshop.

There also also agricultural buildings, such as a dairy factory, forge and saddlery, barn, and cow shed.

All the buildings are set up inside with artefacts from pioneer times. The Pioneer Village also has live days where a barber, bookbinder, forge, and printshop operate.




The Pioneer Village also includes the Stratford Hospital Museum, which was developed after the closure of Stratford Hospital, and is run by a group of retired nurses.

There is a Pioneer Express train, which is based on Barclay shunting engine that would have been used in Stratford in the 1920’s. The train does two circuits of the perimeter of the Village. I recommend doing this first to get a layout of the Village.

During the summer months the Pioneer Village is open daily, during the winter months it is open Wednesday to Sunday. Check their website for current hours.

Taranaki Pioneer Village is located at 3912 Mountain Rd, Stratford.


Pioneer Express Train and Opunake Railway Station


Stratford Courthouse


Kaponga Jail, Cobbler’s shop, and Police Station



Mangatoki Church


Pembroke School





New Plymouth Savings Bank






Stratford Hospital Museum

Lake Mangamahoe

Lake Mangamahoe is a 262ha commercial production forest with a scenic park and lake.


Lake Mangamahoe is popular for mountain biking, walking and running. There are also horse treks.

In 1932 Lake Mangamahoe was created by forming a dam across the valley and submerging 79 acres. The lake is named after the Mangamahoe stream, which flows into the lake.

The Lake Circuit walk will take approximately 1 hour 45 minutes. There is also the Hydro Road Track walk, which is 30 minutes, and a short five minute walk to the Mt. Taranaki Lookout.

Lake Mangamahoe is 10 minutes south of New Plymouth on State Highway 3. Access from Lake Road, at Kent Road Junction. During daylights savings the gate is open 7am to 8:30pm. Outside of daylight savings hours it is open 7am to 6pm.



Pukekura Park

Pukekura Park is a Garden of National Significance in New Plymouth covering 52 hectares.


Pukekura Park contains a range of landscaped gardens, lakes, exotic trees and walking paths through native bush.

It is also is full of history. The park opened in 1876 as a recreational reserve. At that time it was a stream valley full of gorse and wild bush.

In 1878 the main lake was formed by damming the Pukekura Stream that run through the park. In 1884 the ‘Poets Bridge’ was built across the lake. The original bridge was rebuilt in 1938 due to deterioration. Its red colour scheme is based on the Shinkyo Bridge in Nikko, Japan.

In 1888 a bandstand was erected and in 1897, to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, the drinking fountain was unveiled.


Poets Bridge


Drinking fountain and bandstand

In 1928 a fernery was built that today has more than 50,000 plants. The Tea House opened in 1931, which is operating today as Tea House on the Lake, it is open from 9am to 4pm.

There is a waterfall that opened in 1970. It has three main cascades. The highest is 10.6 metres. It uses water from the adjacent lake. Water at the foot of the waterfall is recycled through a pumphouse to a small pool at the top.

To celebrate the park’s centenary a water wheel was erected in 1976.




Water wheel

The park was named Pukekura Park in 1907 after the stream that run through the park.

Pukekura Park is also home to the Sports Grounds, TSB Bowl of Brooklands, and the the Brookland Zoo.

The main gate to Pukekura Park is at 10 Fillis Street, New Plymouth.









Tūpare Gardens

Tūpare is a former private gardens open to the public in New Plymouth.


Tūpare is a 3.6 hectare heritage property managed by the Taranaki Regional Council, which means it is open and free to the public to visit.

Businessman Sir Russell Matthews and his wife Mary purchased the property on on the edge of the Waiwhakaiho River in 1931. At that time it was covered in blackberry, gorse and bracken. They begun building a home and developing the landscape gardens.

The Tudor-style house was designed by James Chapman-Taylor. There was a disagreement between Matthews and Chapman-Taylor over the size of the dining room and Matthews ended the agreement. Matthews did follow the original plans and it took him 12 years to complete construction.




Tūpare was purchased by the Queen Elizabeth II National Trust in 1984 and opened to the public.

The word tūpare means ‘garland of flowers’.

There are three suggested walking routes around Tūpare. The Boundary Trail circles around the property through Redwoods, bush and the garden. The Garden Walk criss-crosses through the main garden areas. The House Stroll is an easier walk through the some of the popular areas of the of the garden.

Dogs and bicycles are not permitted in the gardens.

The gardens are free to visit and are open 9am to 8pm during daylight savings and 9am to 5pm during the winter.

Tūpare is at 487 Mangorei Road, near the intersection with State Highway 3.