Tūpare is a former private gardens open to the public in New Plymouth.
Tūpare is a 3.6 hectare heritage property managed by the Taranaki Regional Council, which means it is open and free to the public to visit.
Businessman Sir Russell Matthews and his wife Mary purchased the property on on the edge of the Waiwhakaiho River in 1931. At that time it was covered in blackberry, gorse and bracken. They begun building a home and developing the landscape gardens.
The Tudor-style house was designed by James Chapman-Taylor. There was a disagreement between Matthews and Chapman-Taylor over the size of the dining room and Matthews ended the agreement. Matthews did follow the original plans and it took him 12 years to complete construction.
Tūpare was purchased by the Queen Elizabeth II National Trust in 1984 and opened to the public.
The word tūpare means ‘garland of flowers’.
There are three suggested walking routes around Tūpare. The Boundary Trail circles around the property through Redwoods, bush and the garden. The Garden Walk criss-crosses through the main garden areas. The House Stroll is an easier walk through the some of the popular areas of the of the garden.
Dogs and bicycles are not permitted in the gardens.
The gardens are free to visit and are open 9am to 8pm during daylight savings and 9am to 5pm during the winter.
Tūpare is at 487 Mangorei Road, near the intersection with State Highway 3.