The crumbling concrete ruins of the former Sutro Baths are on the northwestern edge of San Francisco above the Pacific Ocean.
When the Sutro Baths opened in 1896 it was the world’s largest indoor swimming pool complex with seven pools. The baths were built by former San Francisco mayor Adolph Sutro.
An ice skating rink was added in the 1930s and in 1964 the complex was sold to property developers. A suspicious fire in 1966 destroyed the building before it was demolished.
Following the fire the condo development plans were abandoned. The ruins are now part of Golden Gate Recreational Area managed by the National Park Service.