Fort Takapuna Historic Reserve is located at the head of the Rangitoto Channel in the Hauraki Gulf.
Fort Takapuna, was built between 1886 and 1889 as a military defence fort. It was designed by Major Tudor Boddam, a Royal Artillery Officer.
The fort originally housed two 6 inch disappearing guns and two quick firing Nordenfelt guns.
In 1926-27 the fort was converted into a storage for naval ammunition. The guns were removed and the gunpits roofed over to allow for extra storage. It was used for storage until 1936 when the new Naval Armament Depot was built at Kauri Point.
The brick building was were the soldiers lived. When it was first built there was a deep ditch around it. It has since been filled in and only the small part in front of the barracks remains.
Behind the barracks there was a series of underground tunnels and magazines.
The three concrete shelters were built in 1942 during the Second World War. These were designed to protect the gun crews. The guns originally came from HMS New Zealand (a First World War battlecruiser). By 1941 there were six guns mounted here, for at this battery, known as Left Battery and two at Right Battery, which has since been demolished.
Two of the guns were sent to Tonga, two were given to the Auckland War Memorial Museum, and the other two were scrapped.
An Anti-Submarine Fixed Defence Station was also built to house the electronic equipment used to detect enemy ships approaching. The building was altered following the war with its bay window removed.
Fort Takapuna is located on Vauxhall Road, next to Narrow Neck Beach.