Healesville Sanctuary, Australia

Healesville Sanctuary is a zoo specialising in native Australian animals.

IMG_1927

Dr Colin McKenzie set up the Institute of Anatomical Research in 1920 on 78 acres (32 hectares of land. The reserve was passed to the Healesville Council in 1927 and was named the Sir Colin McKenzie Sanctuary in 1934 (McKenzie was knighted in 1929).

Today the sanctuary is part of Zoos Victoria, which includes Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo. It is well known for its work saving endangered Australian species.

The zoo is set in a natural bushland environment with over 200 species of Australian animals. The zoo is split up into a series of different areas / tracks to explore.

The main track is home to reptiles, amphibians, birds of prey, parrots, and emus. There are also several sites of Aboriginal cultural significance to the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation. There is also the Flight Arena, where there is a daily bird show and the Australian Wildlife Centre, that treats more than 1500 sick and injured native animals a year.

IMG_1993

Spirts of Sky – Bird Show

The woodlands track includes emu, wallaby, barn owl, Australian pelicans, kookaburra, Tasmanian Devil. Also here is Animals of the Night, a facility that houses nocturnal animals, such as possums, bilbies, bandicoots and gliders.

The wetlands track is home to native wetland birds and frogs, such as the black swan, which originated from the Southern Hemisphere.

There is also Dingo County, Kangaroo County (Kangaroo Island Kangaroos, Red Kangaroos and Wombats), Koala Forest (Southern Koala and short-beaked echidna), and the Platypus Track.

Healesville Sanctuary is approximately one hour from Melbourne. The address is Badger Creek Road, Healesville, Victoria.

Tree Kangaroo

Tree-kangaroo

IMG_2005

Dingo

IMG_1991

Aviary

IMG_1943

IMG_1955

Kangaroo County

Puffing Billy Railway, Australia

The Puffing Billy Railway is a heritage steam railway in the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria, Australia.

IMG_1891

The steam train runs on the historic 24 kilometre (15 miles) track between Belgrave and Gembrook through the Dandenong Ranges. This is one of four narrow gauge lines that opened in the 1900s to provide transport and access to remote parts of Victoria.

In 1954 the line closed due operating costs. The Puffing Billy Preservation Society was formed and reopened the line between Belgrave and Menzies Creek in 1962. Later the line was reopened to Emerald in 1965, Lakeside in 1975, and Gembrook in 1998.

IMG_1850

Majority of passengers will start their journey at Belgrave, but it is also possible to start at Lakeside. Usually there a four departures a day from Belgrave.

From Belgrave it is 30 minutes one-way to Menzies Creek, 50 minutes to Emerald, 60 minutes to Lakeside, 1 hour and 50 minutes to Gembrook. A return journey from Belgrave to Gembrooke is approximately 5 hours. Please visit their website for more information on journey timings.

The carriages are open-sided providing views of mountain ash trees, forests and fern gullies as it travels through the Dandenong Ranges National Park.

The service operates everyday except Christmas Day. Belgrave Station is located at 1 Old Monbulk Road, Belgrave, Victoria. Please visit the website for information on parking.

IMG_1861

IMG_1863

IMG_1866

IMG_1890

IMG_1901