Pukekura Park is a Garden of National Significance in New Plymouth covering 52 hectares.
Pukekura Park contains a range of landscaped gardens, lakes, exotic trees and walking paths through native bush.
It is also is full of history. The park opened in 1876 as a recreational reserve. At that time it was a stream valley full of gorse and wild bush.
In 1878 the main lake was formed by damming the Pukekura Stream that run through the park. In 1884 the ‘Poets Bridge’ was built across the lake. The original bridge was rebuilt in 1938 due to deterioration. Its red colour scheme is based on the Shinkyo Bridge in Nikko, Japan.
In 1888 a bandstand was erected and in 1897, to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, the drinking fountain was unveiled.
Drinking fountain and bandstand
In 1928 a fernery was built that today has more than 50,000 plants. The Tea House opened in 1931, which is operating today as Tea House on the Lake, it is open from 9am to 4pm.
There is a waterfall that opened in 1970. It has three main cascades. The highest is 10.6 metres. It uses water from the adjacent lake. Water at the foot of the waterfall is recycled through a pumphouse to a small pool at the top.
To celebrate the park’s centenary a water wheel was erected in 1976.
The park was named Pukekura Park in 1907 after the stream that run through the park.
Pukekura Park is also home to the Sports Grounds, TSB Bowl of Brooklands, and the the Brookland Zoo.
The main gate to Pukekura Park is at 10 Fillis Street, New Plymouth.