Lake Agnes Tea house

The Lake Agnes Tea house is an mountaintop tea house overlooking Lake Agnes, which serves over 100 varies of tea and other delicious goodies.

IMG_1024

The trail begins near Fairmont Chateau on the eastern shore of Lake Louise. It is a 3.6 kilometre (2.2 mile) hike to the teahouse. It takes most visitors between an hour and an hour and half to reach the tea house.

The forested trail will pass Mirror Lake (with the Big Beehive as its backdrop) and a small waterfall before reaching Lake Agnes and the tea house.

IMG_1006

IMG_1012

IMG_1014

IMG_1016

Lake Agnes is named after the first prime minister of Canada’s second wife Lady Susan Agnes Macdonald.

The tea house, which has no electricity or running water, was built by Canadian Pacific Railway in 1901. It began serving tea in 1905. The original log building was replaced in 1981 and used the original windows in its design.

The tea house serves over 100 different varieties of tea. They also serve a selection of sandwiches, salads, soups, and baked goods (baked in the tea house’s propane oven).

It is open from early June to October (Canada Thanksgiving). Bring cash (US and Canadian dollars accepted).

From the tea house it is downhill to return to Lake Louise. For those wishing to go for a longer walk it is approximately 1 km to Little Beehive and 1.6 km to Big Beehive.

There is a second tea house – Plain of Six Glacier’s Tea House. This is approximately 5 kms from Lake Agnes. It is a full day hike to see both tea houses. The entire trip is around 14.5 km.

IMG_1017

IMG_1018

IMG_1021

IMG_1031

IMG_1037

Lake Louise

Lake Louise is a glacial lake in Banff National Park.

IMG_0984

The lake, which is about 2.5 kilometres (1.5 miles) long and 90 metres (295 feet) deep has a pretty emerald colour in the summer. This is caused by the light refracting off the rock flour, which is deposited into the lake by the glacial melt.

Lake Louise is named after Princess Louisa Caroline Alberta, the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria, and the wife of Marquess of Lorne, the fourth Governor General of Canada.

The Stoney Nakota First Nations People named the lake Ho-Run-Num-Nay (Lake of the Little Fishes).

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise sits on the eastern shores of the lake. This hotel was opened by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1911. My family had the buffet breakfast at Poppy Brassiere, the service and food were excellent.

Lake Louise is approximately 5 kilometres (3.1 miles) west of Lake Louise village.

IMG_0989

IMG_1055

IMG_1058

IMG_1047