Opepe Bush Historic Reserve

The Opepe Bush Historic Reserve, which is a short drive from Taupō, has scenic bush walks to explore.

IMG_3444

The Opepe Bush Historic Reserve bisects the Napier Taupō Highway (SH5). There are carparks on both sides of the road.

The southern walking track is a 3 km loop walk. I did the northern walking track, which is a 30 minute, 1.5 km loop bush walk. The walk leads through mature podocarp forest, which are rare in the Taupō region because these forests were destroyed by the Taupō eruption, fires and milling.

IMG_3457

IMG_3464

Totara

Totara

Matai

Matai

Rimu

Rimu

Opepe is most noted as a site of an attack in the 1869 New Zealand Land Wars. On June 7th 1869 members of Te Kooti’s party attacked the Bay of Plenty Cavalry, who were camped there. 5 of the 14 members of the cavalry escaped. The nine soldiers that were killed are buried here. Later residents of Opepe and the Armed Constabulary are also buried here. It is a 10 minute return walk to the cemetery.

Opepe Bush Historic Reserve is located on the Napier Taupō Highway (SH5), 17 km from Taupō.

IMG_3511

IMG_3513

IMG_3516

IMG_3519

Kemp House and Stone Store – Kerikeri

Kemp House and the Stone Store, located in the Kerikeri River Basin, are two of New Zealand’s oldest buildings.

IMG_2389

The two buildings were built as part of the Church Missionary Society’s second Anglican mission to New Zealand.

Kemp House is the oldest surviving European building in New Zealand and was built by Reverend John Gare Butler in 1821-22 as a mission house. The house was occupied by missionary George Clarke from 1824 to 1831. In 1832 blacksmith and missionary James Kemp and his family took residence.

After the mission closed in 1848 the Kemp family stayed on eventually buying the house from the Church Missionary Society. Descendants of the Kemp family lived at the property until 1974 when Ernest Kemp gifted the house to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.

IMG_2402

IMG_2440

The Stone Store, which is the country’s oldest surviving stone building, was built between 1832 and 1836 as a storehouse for the mission. After the mission’s closure it became a general store. The Historic Places Trust purchased it from the Kemp Estate in 1976.

Today the ground floor is a gift shop. There are museum displays on the top floor.

Entry to Kemp House is via guided tour only.

IMG_2390

IMG_2399

IMG_2403

IMG_2435

IMG_2438

Fort Takapuna Historic Reserve

Fort Takapuna Historic Reserve is located at the head of the Rangitoto Channel in the Hauraki Gulf.

001

Fort Takapuna, was built between 1886 and 1889 as a military defence fort. It was designed by Major Tudor Boddam, a Royal Artillery Officer.

The fort originally housed two 6 inch disappearing guns and two quick firing Nordenfelt guns.

In 1926-27 the fort was converted into a storage for naval ammunition. The guns were removed and the gunpits roofed over to allow for extra storage. It was used for storage until 1936 when the new Naval Armament Depot was built at Kauri Point.

The brick building was were the soldiers lived. When it was first built there was a deep ditch around it. It has since been filled in and only the small part in front of the barracks remains.

002

003

004

Behind the barracks there was a series of underground tunnels and magazines.

The three concrete shelters were built in 1942 during the Second World War. These were designed to protect the gun crews. The guns originally came from HMS New Zealand (a First World War battlecruiser). By 1941 there were six guns mounted here, for at this battery, known as Left Battery and two at Right Battery, which has since been demolished.

Two of the guns were sent to Tonga, two were given to the Auckland War Memorial Museum, and the other two were scrapped.

005

006

007

An Anti-Submarine Fixed Defence Station was also built to house the electronic equipment used to detect enemy ships approaching. The building was altered following the war with its bay window removed.

Fort Takapuna is located on Vauxhall Road, next to Narrow Neck Beach.

008

009

010

011

Maungawhau (Mt Eden), Auckland

Maungawhau (Mt Eden) is a dormant volcano in Auckland city.

001

Its Māori language name Maungawhau means ‘mountain of the whau tree’. William Hobson, the first Governor of New Zealand, named the mountain and surrounding suburb after George Eden, 1st Earl of Auckland. 

The summit is 196 metres (643 feet) above sea level making it Auckland’s highest volcanic cone.

On a clear day the summit will provide views of the surrounding suburbs, Waitakere Ranges, the Sky Tower, Harbour Bridge and Rangitoto Island.

002

003

004

005

Its Māori language name Maungawhau means ‘mountain of the whau tree’. William Hobson, the first Governor of New Zealand named the mountain and surrounding suburb after George Eden, 1st Earl of Auckland.

The crater is 50 metres (160 feet) deep. The crater’s Māori name is Te Ipu Kai a Mataaho, which means Food Bowl of Mataaho. Mataaho was a deity that lived in the crater. The crater is sacred (tapu) so please be respectful and do not attempt to enter it.

In pre-European times Māori used the site as a pā (fortified settlement). You can still see remnants of the food storage pits.

Vehicle traffic to the summit is not permitted, except for people with limited mobility. It takes about 10 minutes to walk up from the carpark or bus stop. The climb is quite steep.

There is pedestrian access to the summit from Clive Road, Glenfell Place, Batger Road, Hillside Crescent, Rautangi Road and Owens Road.

The Mt Eden Road and Tahaki Drive entrances are open from 7am-8.30pm in summer and 7am to 7pm in winter. There is a lower carpark off Puhi Huia Road.

006

007

008

010

Fish out of Water

The Fish Out of Water Art Trail is an annual summer event in Rotorua. The decorated fibreglass fish are currently on display at Te Aka Mauri Rotorua Library.

IMG_0605

The art trail, which ran from 20 December 2018 until February 3rd 2019, featured 13 fish decorated by local Rotorua artists.

This is the 14th year that the art trail has been held. This summer there was an extra roving fish ‘Captain Peggy Wetbeard’ that was displayed at various locations.

The 13 fish and Captain Peggy Wetbeard will only be at the library for another couple of weeks before they are painted white ready for the 2019/20 summer trail.

01 Plastic Ocean Siobhan Foster

‘Plastic Ocean’ – Siobhan Foster

03 Forest Fairytale Jemma Pirrie

‘Forest Fairytale’ – Jemma Pirrie

06. Aqualung my friend John Skudder

‘Aqualung my friend’ – John Skudder

07 Nanabozho The Rainbow Trout Lori-Ann Herder

‘Nanabozho – The Rainbow Trout’ – Lori-Ann Herder

09 Plastic Fantastic St Chads Charitable Trust Artists

‘Plastic Fantastic’ – St Chads Charitable Trust Artists

12 Cheshire Cat Fish

‘Cheshire Cat Fish’ – Nicola Wright, Grace McQuoid & Lauren Stephens

Rotorua GLO Festival NYE

The 2018 Rotorua GLO Festival was a family-friendly New Year’s Eve event held at Rotorua’s lakefront Village Green.

vlcsnap-2018-12-31-23h32m58s348

The evening line up included live music on stage from 4.30pm, a screening of the 2007 Disney Pixar computer-animated fantasy film Coco at 6pm, and then live music continuing as the sun set.

As well as the live music there were food trucks and Mahons Amusements hosted a carnival with carnival games, fairground food and rides including a Grand Carousel, Dodgem Cars, Fun Factory, Graviton, Round Up and the Pirate Ship.

A fireworks display on the lakefront concluded the night at 9.30 pm.

The decision this year to not have a midnight fireworks drew criticism from some members of the community. Despite this the Council reports 12,000 people attended the festival in its entirety and 15,000 people watched the 9.30pm fireworks.

Happy New Year!

vlcsnap-2018-12-31-23h31m59s585

vlcsnap-2018-12-31-23h35m13s579

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0466

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

New Plymouth Clock Tower

New Plymouth’s clock tower stands on the corner Robe Street and Devon Street West.

IMG_0071.JPG

The original clock tower was part of the Post Office building, which was built in 1906-7. Following an earthquake in 1942 a decision was made to demolish to tower due to safety concerns. Due to opposition the clock tower and post office were not demolished until April 1969.

Residents wanted the clock tower back, so a replica was built in 1985 that incorporated the original clock and its mechanism.

Unfortunately you cannot climb to the top of it. Access to the tower steps are closed off by a gate.

It is best to see when visiting the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery / Lyn Lye Centre, as the clock tower is across the road.

IMG_0062

IMG_0065

Govett-Brewster Art Gallery | Len Lye Centre

The Govett-Brewster Art Gallery and Len Lye Centre is a contemporary art museum and space in New Plymouth.

001

The art gallery opened in 1970 in the old Regent Cinema building. The name comes from Monica Brewster (née Govett), who was the founding benefactor.

The gallery traditionally changes its exhibitions three times a year. The gallery also has café and shop.

The Len Lye Centre, which opened in 2015, is located next to the art gallery and houses artist, sculpter, poet and filmmaker Len Lye’s collection and archive, as well as galleries, an education centre and a 62-seat cinema.

The Centre’s with its shimmering mirror-like steel facade is probably one of the most photographed buildings in New Plymouth.

Entry to the gallery is free but donations are appreciated.

The Govett-Brewster Art Gallery and Len Lye Centre is located on the corner of Queen St and Devon St West, New Plymouth.

002

003

005

004

 

Puke Ariki

Puke Ariki, which opened in 2003, is an combined museum, library and tourist information centre in New Plymouth.

IMG_0048

The Museum has three permanent galleries Taranaki Naturally, Taranaki Life, and Takapou Whāriki. These exhibitions explore Taranaki’s geological, early settler life, and Māori history. There also two temporary galleries for visiting and short term exhibitions.

The Museum is open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm and 9am to 5pm on weekends.

There is an airbridge that links the Museum and i-Site with the public library. The library is open the same hours as the museum, except for a late night on Wednesday with a 9pm closure.

Puke Ariki is located at 1 Ariki Street, New Plymouth.

IMG_0049

IMG_0004

IMG_0002

IMG_0018

IMG_0022

IMG_0027

IMG_0028

IMG_0017

IMG_0014

IMG_0015

IMG_0009

IMG_0010

Taranaki Pioneer Village

Taranaki Pioneer Village is an outdoor museum experience representing a Taranaki Village from 1850 to 1950.

IMG_0300

The 10 acre property has over 40 original buildings dating back to 1853. Buildings onsite include the Tariki Railway Station (1903), Opunake Railway Station (1925), Stratford Courthouse (1895), Mangatoki Church (1904), Kaponga Jail (1914), and Pembroke School (circa 1930s).

There are also historic homesteads and many village shops including a bank, barber, bookbinder, butcher, chemist, cobbler, Doctors and dental surgery, drapery, grocery store, hardware store library, post office, and printshop.

There also also agricultural buildings, such as a dairy factory, forge and saddlery, barn, and cow shed.

All the buildings are set up inside with artefacts from pioneer times. The Pioneer Village also has live days where a barber, bookbinder, forge, and printshop operate.

IMG_0254

IMG_0257

Library

The Pioneer Village also includes the Stratford Hospital Museum, which was developed after the closure of Stratford Hospital, and is run by a group of retired nurses.

There is a Pioneer Express train, which is based on Barclay shunting engine that would have been used in Stratford in the 1920’s. The train does two circuits of the perimeter of the Village. I recommend doing this first to get a layout of the Village.

During the summer months the Pioneer Village is open daily, during the winter months it is open Wednesday to Sunday. Check their website for current hours.

Taranaki Pioneer Village is located at 3912 Mountain Rd, Stratford.

IMG_0258

Pioneer Express Train and Opunake Railway Station

IMG_0275

Stratford Courthouse

IMG_0307

Kaponga Jail, Cobbler’s shop, and Police Station

IMG_0301

IMG_0302

Mangatoki Church

IMG_0306

Pembroke School

IMG_0261

Barber

IMG_0288

IMG_0283

New Plymouth Savings Bank

IMG_0321

IMG_0313

IMG_0315

IMG_0316

IMG_0318

Stratford Hospital Museum