Flurys Kolkata

Flurys is an elegant historic tearoom and pastry shop in Kolkata, India.

062

Joseph and Freida Flury, a Swiss expatriate couple, opened the tearoom and confectionary shop in Park Street in 1927. Flurys has been owned by the Apeejay Surrendra Group since 1965.

For more than 90 years Flurys has served a variety of equisite cakes, pastries, cookies, chocolates and savories.

Flurys is located at 18A Park Street, Kolkata.

056

066

054

050

National Library of India

The National Library of India in Kolkata is the largest library in India and is the nation’s library of public record.

02

The National Library of India, which is located within the 30-acre (12 hectare) Belvedere Estate opened on 1 February 1953.

Prior to this it was known as the Imperial Library, which formed in 1891. In 1903 the Imperial Library amalgamated with the Calcutta Public Library (formed 1836) and opened at Metcalfe Hall. After the independence the Imperial Library become the National Library of India and moved to the Belvedere Estate.

Belvedere House was the former palace for the Viceroy of India, and later the Governor of Bengal.

The library has a collection containing over 2.2 million books, over 86,000 maps, and over 3,200 manuscripts. Its shelf space stretches over 45 kilometres.

The National Library is located on Belvedere Road, Block A, Alipore, Kolkata.

09

04

12

11

10

Victoria Memorial Kolkata

Victoria Memorial is a large marble building in Kolkata, India, dedicated to the memory of Queen Victoria.

42

The building, which which was designed by architect William Emerson, was built between 1906 and 1921. The foundation stone was laid by The Prince of Wales (later King George V) on January 4th 1906.

The Victoria Memorial, like the Taj Mahal, is built of white Makrana marble. The building is 103 metres (338 ft) by 69 metres (228 ft), with a height of 56 metres (184 ft).

The gardens, which cover 57 acres, were designed by Lord Redesdale and David Prain. 21 gardeners work to maintain the gardens.

The Victoria Memorial is home to 25 galleries. I did not visit the the galleries. If you have been inside let me know in the comments below what you thought.

16

20

29

27

37

31

39

Rabindra Sarobar Lake

Rabindra Sarobar Lake is a man-made lake in south Kolkata, India.

01

The Calcutta Improvement Trust acquired 192 acres of marshy jungle to develop for residential use. The lake, which covers approximately 72 acres of the park space, was originally named Dhakuria Lake. In 1958, it was renamed after the writer and Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore. There is a statue of Tagore at southern entrance to the park.

Some of the trees and shrubs surrounding the lake are over 100 years old.

There has been issues in recent years with pollutions levels in the lake but it is still a nice walk.

02

03

04

05

020

026

BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir Kolkata

BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir is a Hindu temple in Kolkata, India.

006

BAPS (Bochasanwasi Akshar Purushottam Sanstha) is religious organisation within the Swaminarayan branch of Hinduism.

BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, Bhasa opened to the public in 2014.

There is a sacred footprint in the courtyard leading up to the temple. The white marble footprints are designed with the 16 spiritual signs of the Devine. The footprints recognise spiritual leader Bhagwan Swaminarayan’s presence on Earth (1781 – 1830)

Darshan is closed daily from 10.15 am to 11.15 am and 6.15 pm to 7.15 pm during the offering of Bhagwan’s daily Thal (Bhog).

BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir is located at Bhasa 14 No., Diamond Harbour Rd, Dist. 24 Parganas (South), Kolkata.

001

002

004

007

005

Mother House Kolkata

Missionaries of Charity Mother House in Kolkata, India is home to the religious congregation of the Missionaries of Charity. It is where Mother Teresa lived and worked, and is her final resting place.

024

Mother Teresa was buried on the ground floor of the Mother House on 13th September, 1997.

Photography is only permitted at Mother Teresa’s Tomb and by her statue. There is a small museum with information about Mother Teresa’s life and work. Many of Mother Teresa’s possessions are on display, such as her crucifix, dinner bowl, rosary, sandals, and sari.

Upstairs you can see the simple room in which she slept and worked from 1953 until her passing in 1997.

Mother House is open every day except Thursdays from 8am to 12 noon and 3pm to 6pm. It is closed on 22 August, Easter Monday and 26 December.

The Mother House of the Missionaries of Charity is located at 54A, A.J.C. Bose Road, Calcutta.

012

018

020

026